The FCC is banning new foreign-made routers, but existing ones can keep getting updates until 2029

https://www.techspot.com/images2/news/ts3_thumbs/2026/05/2026-05-12-ts3_thumbs-597.jpg

Serving tech enthusiasts for over 25 years.
TechSpot means tech analysis and advice you can trust.

In a nutshell: The FCC has extended a deadline that will allow millions of routers and drones already in use in the US to keep receiving software updates for several more years, easing part of its broader national security crackdown. In an order released last week, the agency said foreign-made routers and uncrewed aircraft systems previously approved for use can continue to receive firmware and software updates until at least January 1, 2029. The earlier cutoff had been set for March 2027, raising concerns that devices still widely deployed in homes and businesses could lose access to critical security patches.

The change leaves the FCC's broader policy intact. Rules adoptedin March block approval of new consumer routers manufactured outside the United States, part of an effort the commission says targets national security...

Copyright of this story solely belongs to techspot.com. To see the full text click HERE