Scottish prosecutors cast eye over leaky supplier after staff data exposed

https://image.theregister.com/255884.jpg?imageId=255884&x=0&y=0&cropw=100&croph=100&panox=0&panoy=0&panow=100&panoh=100&width=1200&height=683

Unnamed third party spotted suspicious activity, with names, roles, and email addresses potentially affected

Scotland's public prosecution service has warned 300 staff that their personal information may have been caught up in a cyberattack on one of its suppliers.

The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) disclosed the incident on Thursday, saying an unnamed third-party supplier detected suspicious activity on August 5 and subsequently launched an investigation.

COPFS said its own systems were not compromised and that the incident involves information provided for an online data maturity assessment completed by the prosecution service last year.

The Scottish government organized the assessment, which was managed by the affected supplier. COPFS said the potentially exposed information is limited to employment-related data submitted for the exercise, including staff names, roles, and work email addresses.

In a statement to The Register, a COPFS spokesperson said: "COPFS is aware that a Scottish Government...

Copyright of this story solely belongs to theregister.com. To see the full text click HERE

Read more